Jakarta Private Tour Guide Travel Post
(A Complete Guide to : Types of Bicycles, Parts, Prices and Where to Buy in Indonesia)
JPTG.-- Cycling for some people is like having an inherent soul. "Some days if I'm not cycling would make my body itches, someone said! 🙂 Maybe so. Because by doing cycling there are several benefits at once that can be obtained: healthy, as means of transportation, fun, togetherness, socialization, self-actualization, meditation and etc. … .. ("you named it").
If you’re plan to buy and develop this one sport, or just a gift to family members and colleagues, it's good to know in advance what type of bike suitable for you, the price range and where to buy.
You may also want to know the bicycle parts and equipment so you can safely ride, maintain and modify them.
Here is the guide that we summarize from several sources for how to determine the most suitable bicycle before buying.
1# Determine Where You Will Mostly Ride Your Bike
The first question you must be answered before make a decision to buy a bicycle is where will most of you ride your bike. Is the location where the cycling will be more often around the house, or is it more often used for purposes away from home such as offices, sports and natural locations.
The condition of road around the house or the road far from the house to be passed also needs to be considered, whether it is flat, many roads are potholes, rocky, or natural roads with some dirt. For this reason, there are many types of bicycles which were available to mention could be adjusted to your wants and needs.
Among them you must adjust to the location where you will cycle.
Mostly there are several types of bicycles as bellow :
Bicycle Types :
Road Bike: A bicycle used to drive at high speed on paved roads. People are usually familiar with racing bikes.
Mountain Bike: A bicycle designed for off-road cycling activities such as at mountains or hills. Its features are designed to increase durability and rugged performance. Adventure is a suitable word for this type.
Hybrid Bike: A combination of road bike and mountain bike where the features are made to be adapted to the roads, hills and touring needs.
Lifestyle Bike (Urban / City Bike): A bicycle designed to cover several lifestyles. To show the attitudes and lifestyle for the users. Like the retro type, bright colors and modifications to the spare parts.
Folding Bike: A bicycle designed to be folded for practicality, easy transportation and storage and its commonly used for short distances.
Tandem Bike: Twin bikes or a form of bicycle designed to be riding by more than one person. Suitable for two or three riders at the same time for compactness and fun.
Types of bicycle above can be modified again by the manufacturer by still keep referring to the function of its type, such as BMX, city bike, urban bike, electric bicycle, children's bicycle, onthel (old classic cycle for adult in Indonesia), pushbike, women's bicycle and many more.
Its so many types and components, right? But there's no need to be confused. If you want to buy, just adjust it to the function you will need and in which location you will ride your bicycle more often.
In addition, it is also good for;
Understanding in advance about the standard of bicycle parts and its equipment
Understanding bicycle parts or components and their equipment will further increase your knowledge in knowing the type of bicycle you will choose before making a buy decision.
In generally, the bicycle parts and supplies are as below.
• Frame: This is the main frame of bicycle or triangular frame which is supports all spare parts and the cyclist itself. It usually made of aluminium, steel, titanium and carbon fiber.
• Wheels: A bicycle wheel consists of an outer rubber tire, an inner tube, a valve, a rim or vleg, and spokes.
• Suspension: Front and rear dampers to withstand shocks. Sometimes added to the middle frame of bike for more severe conditions.
• Drivetrain: A bicycle drive system consisting of a chain, gear or transmision that can move according to the desired speed, pedal levers and brackets.
• Brake: Bicycle brake system consisting of hydraulics, discs, brake cables and pistons.
• Saddle (bicycle seat), Handlebar (can be flat or curved), and Pedals (step on the foot for pedaling).
General Standard Equipment for Bicycles:
• Head safety helmet
• Protective glasses
• Bicycle gloves
• Bike clothes and pants
• Bicycle drinking bottle with bracket
• Street safety night lights (plus portable spotlights)
• Bicycle tools (complementary keys for maintenance, WD-40 lubricant spray to prevent rust and smooth jammed components)
Ask the bicycle shop clerk or someone who understands better about bicycle components and equipment, so you can adjust for how to maintain and budget you have later. Its better to understand a lot about the condition of bicycle you plan to buy. So you will be more satisfied.
2# Get to Know the Price as General
Get to knowing the general price of bicycles from various brands or genuine brands was something you should know before buying so you don't get fooled. The price of a bicycle depends on the brand, manufacturer, functions and materials plus trend of bicycle brand currently increasing in price.
There are also local brands from domestic manufacturers and startups who currently participating in issuing their bicycle products from cheap to expensive prices.
Famous brands who have been around for a long time in the world of local brand or abroad usually have their price range from the cheapest to the most expensive while releasing latest types. This is to keep their loyal customers and brand popular.
During an outbreak pandemic or when the trend is rising, the average bicycle price can increase by 20% - 30% from the normal price. It could even be more on popular brands.
For the price of bicycles from local producers or craftsmen in shops around us in Indonesia with its functions for sports, fun and local transportation and do not have a well-known brand name, its usually pegged at a price of Rp. 1 million to Rp. IDR 5 million (IDR).
However, bicycle prices for well-known domestic and foreign brands such as Polygon, United, Thrill, Element, Pacific to Brompton and made of aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber as basic materials can be pegged from a price of Rp. 5 million to Rp. 100 million more (IDR).
It's good to know in more detail about the prices of bicycles with well-known brands so that we can adjusted to existing budget. Sepeda.me is a recommendation site in Indonesia for complete and detailed information about the latest bicycle price, types, components, accessories, and other useful tips about cycling.
3# Get to Know Where to Buy (Advantages and Disadvantages)
To get a good bicycle and safe as a quality bicycle and also according to your needs, of course it would be better if you look directly to the physic of bicycle and get as many explanation from the salesperson from a bicycle shop.
You will get detailed explanation of the various choices and can see directly to the spare parts and other standard equipment needed. A good physical bike shop will provide a variety of choices and detailed explanation from the seller.
It's also a good idea if you already have comparison of the prices of bicycle from well-known or local brands along with the basic material specifications so you don't get fooled and have many alternative choices.
But if you have no time, buying online via e-commerce marketplace or online bicycle shop can be an alternative.
Here are the places to buy bicycle with their advantages and disadvantages:
• Local Bike Shop: The advantage is that you can see the authenticity of the brand firsthand and get a direct explanation of the bike from the seller. How to maintain and perform services, accessories or equipment needed and maybe the price can be slightly negotiated. The drawbacks are higher prices from dealers or direct distributors and limited choice of type of bicycles.
• Dealer / Distributor Brand Online: The advantage is that there are various and different types of certain brands along with the new types issued. The drawbacks are can’t get a direct explanation regarding maintenance services and accessories.
• E-Commerce: The advantage is that there are special offers or discounts regarding certain brand bicyces with the last type because of competition among e-commerce peers. The drawback is that you cannot check the authenticity of the product directly and you have to set the bike yourself.
• Secondhand Shop: The advantages are you might find bicycle which still have good quality and branded at low price. The drawbacks are there is no warranty and you have to look around for a suitable model and option.
There are no specific standards for getting a bicycle which really suits you. It all depends on the type of bicycle needs and the budget you have.
The 3 Hows to determine a suitable bicycle before buying above can be a guide. Especially if you can test-ride or try it first. Just adjust whichever option are the best and fits to your needs.
Good luck for hunting your bicycle dream!
Healthy greetings and Happy riding …. 🙂